DWP State Pension helps with an extra £369 a month if you have back pain, arthritis, dementia or other conditions

UK residents under state pension age and over the age of 16 can receive Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) if they need help with day-to-day tasks or getting around. move. It is as long as these tasks cannot be performed due to disability, long-term illnesses or mental or physical health problems.

Those who receive the PIP at the time they get the state pension will continue to receive the state benefit. And if someone is already receiving Disability Living Allowance, often called DLA, they will be encouraged to apply for PIP.

A person reaching state pension age – which rose to 66 last year – who has never claimed either benefit before may receive additional support, to remain independent longer in their own accommodation for a long time, in the form of an assistance allowance.

READ MORE: Martin Lewis shares £35 air fryer deal to help cut energy bills

Recent data from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) shows that in February last year, 1,392,093 people across the UK were claiming the benefit. It is worth up to £358.40 every four weeks, the Daily recording reports.

In total, 60% of the recipients of the attendance allowance at the time were aged 80 or over. And the most common disabling condition – a term used by the DWP to cover a wide variety of health conditions – was arthritis at 30%, followed by dementia at 8%.

54,428 people receive regular financial help for muscle, joint or back pain across the UK.

The problem of back pain is very common; it can improve in a few weeks to a few months but for some it will stay and last over time. People with back, muscle or joint pain could qualify for an assistance allowance through the DWP.

Attendance allowance explained and who can claim it

Attendance allowance helps to cover certain costs if you have a physical or mental disability. This also applies if you suffer from an illness serious enough to make it difficult for you to take care of yourself. It does not cover mobility needs.

You don’t need to have someone looking after you to claim.

Consider applying for the state benefit if you have a disability or illness and need assistance or supervision throughout the day or sometimes at night; even if you are not currently receiving this assistance. This could include help with your personal case, such as eating or drinking, and helping you stay safe.

If personal tasks are also causing you difficulty, taking you a long time to complete, or causing you pain, you should also consider applying.

You should also consider claiming if you need help or supervision throughout the day or night and you have:

What Attendance Allowance pays

The amount you receive on Attendance Allowance ranges from £61.85 to £92.40 each week. It depends on the level of care you receive.

It is paid every four weeks and costs between £247.40 and £369.60, depending on your weekly rate.

You can spend the money however you see fit and it could help you stay independent for longer in your own home.

This could include:

  • pay taxis
  • help with bills
  • pay a cleaner or a gardener

Does the attendance allowance affect other benefits?

Other benefits you receive may increase if you receive Attendance Allowance, including:

You can check your state pension age on the GOV.UK website here.

When you can’t make a claim

If you are already receiving PIP or DLA, Attendance Allowance is unfortunately not applicable to your situation.

If you request it while receiving the DLA, the DWP will reassess your DLA award instead. You can renew your PIP or DLA when the existing reward ends as long as you still meet the eligibility criteria.

How to claim

You will need to complete a lengthy claim form when you apply for Attendance allowance. It may seem daunting at first, but help is available from your nearest Advice to citizensso don’t let the form deter you from applying.

If you prefer to do it yourself, you can follow the Advice for Citizens guide on how to complete your claim form. here. Full details on how to obtain the application form by post or telephone can be found on the Gov.uk website. here.


Previous Pension booster: get monthly income from a mutual fund
Next Live News: Online Discounts Will Hit Record Highs This US Holiday Shopping Season