Objective of the role
- This role is expected to provide leadership for Plan International Nigeria programming, build quality and develop innovative approaches.
- He/she will lead the program team in the development and management of innovative and quality girl-focused and gender-transformative programs in line with the country strategic plan, in line with the global strategy.
- The incumbent will monitor and evaluate the impact of the program and ensure shared learning from the program. As determined by the CD, he/she will act for the CD and assume strategic country leadership responsibilities.
Size of the role
- Communicates widely within Plan International Nigeria, with partners and relevant government institutions. A position of strategic leadership; the post holder will work with the CD and heads of development and humanitarian programs.
- As Plan International Nigeria is a dual-mandate programme, the Program Quality and Innovation Manager will provide expert advice to the national, regional and international program team on development and humanitarian issues in Nigeria.
- The role requires the ability to analyze and communicate complex information at a simple level to a wide audience and influence various internal/external target audiences in Nigeria and likely in the West Africa region.
Key end results and typical responsibilities:
Provide strategic leadership of the program unit:
- Develop program policies, objectives, activity plans and timelines;
- Member of the Country Leadership Team.
- Contribute to collective and informed decisions made by the Executive Team and Country Leadership Team (CLT) on key program strategy, implementation and monitoring issues.
- Facilitate the design and evaluation of the country strategic plan and programs
- Facilitate the establishment and implementation of standards of accountability, effectiveness and efficiency in delivering Plan’s program.
- Act as Country Director when required.
Program development and management:
- Develop the annual operating plan and budget for program and project management.
- Ensure coordination between development and humanitarian response program
- Ensure that all programs comply with the program quality procedure.
- Ensure that the program is implemented in a cost effective, consultative, participatory and gender responsive manner and ensure a gender transformative manner in all Plan International Nigeria programs
- Work with program managers and the partnership team to ensure that capacity building plans are developed for each partner and monitor the implementation of these plans.
- Conduct regular and frequent program support visits to all program sites with the aim of providing programmatic guidance and support to Plan International Nigeria staff and partners in terms of program delivery, donor compliance and program implementation.
- Chair the program management team meeting.
- Hold regular program management meetings with program managers and heads of support departments.
- Ensure that monitoring, evaluation and learning frameworks are developed for each program and implemented.
- Represent Plan at national, regional and international meetings, as recommended by the Country Director and ensure that information/agreements are communicated and implemented accordingly.
- Publications – provide leadership in facilitating the publication of Plan Nigeria corporate program reports/documents.
- Build relationships with appropriate partners/networks working with Plan International Nigeria.
Financial management and control:
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate financial controls for the program
- Monitor monthly budget against actuals and inform the Country Director of any issues related to program implementation and budget, including expenditures
- Ensure that budgets developed are cost effective and realistic.
Human Resource Management:
- Performance management of all program staff and resource mobilization.
- Support program staff and identify areas for improvement in their performance.
- Coordinate with HR Manager, Program Unit Managers and identify training needs and appropriate training courses for them.
- Train and brief country office and program unit administrative staff on basic plan procedures, best practices, etc., as required.
- Ensure that personnel safety, personnel security, and medical evacuation and security procedures are developed, approved, and implemented as appropriate.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations of internal and external stakeholders and to remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Demonstrate dynamism in leadership, cultivate talent, and foster learning and sharing to ensure effective and efficient high-level program support that contributes to the achievement of the country’s strategic plan.
- Influencing situations where he has no direct control over resources;
- Manage multiple and work with remote colleagues to form an effective virtual administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to resolve conflicts between administrative staff;
- Resolve issues that are not covered by established processes.
- Analyze possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to resolve them.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the Country Director or CMT for review.
Communications and Labor Relations:
- Prepare annual program reports for national and international consumption.
- Prepare and submit relevant quarterly reports to the regional office.
- Provide Regional Hub, Global Hub, Country Offices and other Cos with timely responses regarding program related queries.
- Report to Country Director.
- Provide advice and support to Plan International Nigeria Country Director on program quality and innovation issues.
- Work with all SLT/CLT members and other Heads of Department for the efficiency of Plan International Nigeria operations;
- Coordinate with Human Resources and Administration Unit Heads in the assessment of program staff at Plus.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Degree and experience:
- A master’s degree in social sciences, development studies, or other related fields.
- At least 10 years of experience (5 of which must be at senior or national management level) in programmes, monitoring and evaluation and resource mobilization.
- In-depth knowledge of the socio-economic and political environment of Nigeria. Including development and humanitarian context.
- In-depth knowledge of Nigeria’s development and humanitarian programming environment.
- Strong capacity of national network to influence program direction.
- Experience in producing proposals and reports for a variety of donors
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender equity issues and their relevance to development and humanitarian response work
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of relevant complication applications, including Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), SAP and other relevant applications
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Working knowledge of French will be an advantage.
- Communicates clearly and effectively in a style that inspires confidence and builds credibility with staff.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent teamwork skills and ability to build good relationships both internally and externally.
- Analytical ability to draw relevant conclusions.
- Ability to influence, negotiate and persuade staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to effectively manage time and prioritize tasks
- Ability to maintain and achieve operational efficiency and identify and mitigate administration related risks.
- Proven ability to influence and negotiate with internal and external audiences.
- Confident representation skills.
- Creates a strong sense of purpose and engagement within own part of the business and with stakeholders
- Considers self and others to achieve agreed-upon goals and standards of behavior
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and organizational development.
- Good judgment and decision making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence, including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance in others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Click here to apply