AUSTIN, Texas— Today, in a landmark decision stripping the constitutional right to abortion and reproductive autonomy of tens of millions of Americans and millions of Texans, the Supreme Court announced a decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, siding with hardline Republicans. and overthrowing Roe v. Wade.
The ruling activates Texas’ “trigger” law, which outright bans abortions for all Texans and will go into effect 30 days after the ruling is released.
Texas Democrats outlined specific ways to return the bodily rights of Texas women to them WHEN we win in November:
- Repeal HB 1280, the “trigger law” passed in the 87th legislative session.
- Repeal SB 8 (ban on abortion for six weeks)
- Repeal SB 4 (ban on medical abortion after 7 weeks and ban on telemedicine used to acquire it)
- Repeal SB 22 (86R, prohibits Texas governments from contracting with abortion providers or their affiliates)
- Repeal existing TRAP laws that were not struck down after Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt
- Repeal the mandatory 24-hour waiting period before an abortion
- Repeal required ultrasound and medically inaccurate advice before an abortion
- Oblige health insurers to provide coverage for abortion
- Improve access to contraception, especially in contraceptive deserts
- Pass legislation allowing any medical provider to re-enter Medicaid, including those affiliated with an abortion provider
- Pass a state budget that does not include funding for the Abortion Alternatives program, and instead redirect those funds to legitimate reproductive health care programs
- Pass the Abortion is Healthcare Act, which was first filed in 2021 and would repeal all Texas TRAP laws
This November, Texans have a choice: radical conservatives operating on a platform of authoritarianism, forced birth, and human suffering. Or the Democrats who will soften the blow of today’s national trauma by ensuring that Texans can live without fear of losing the right to their most basic bodily autonomy.
The choice is clear. The time to act is now.